Looking for POP3 server settings for Outlook.com to add Outlook.com account to another email client that supports POP or IMAP? This article will walk you through setting up a POP server for your Outlook.com account. With POP, you can download messages from your Outlook.com account to the selected email device or application.
Enable POP access in Hotmail/Outlook.com
POP access is disabled by default on Outlook.com, so it’s important to turn it on first.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Select Options.
- Select POP and IMAP.
- In the POP option, select Yes to allow devices and applications to use POP.
- Select Save at the top.
Note, with the option of enabling this option, you can choose to allow devices and applications to delete messages from Outlook. If this is not allowed, the messages will be moved to a special POP folder. You will then manage the messages from Outlook.com to delete them.
If there is an old Outlook.com mailbox titled Outlook.com, not Outlook Mail, select Options> Manage your account> Connect devices and apps with POP. Then, in POP, select Enable and Save.
Install the POP server for Outlook.com
Perform a POP server installation for Outlook.com to download new mail to the email, mobile, or mobile device using the following settings:
- POP server address Outlook.com: pop-mail.outlook.com
- POP Outlook.com username: Your full Outlook.com email address (not an email alias)
- POP Password: your Outlook.com password
- Outlook.com POP Port: 995
- Encryption method POP Outlook.com: SSL
- Require TLS / SSL encryption: Yes
Install the IMAP server for Outlook.com
- Note, users can also set up Outlook.com using IMAP instead of POP.
- The IMAP com server name: imap-mail.outlook.com
- IMAP port: 993
- IMAP encryption method Outlook.com: SSL
- See also: POP and IMAP discrimination
Install Outlook.com to send emails
- To send a message using your Outlook.com account from an email program, see How to set up an SMTP server to send email to Outlook.com for more information.
- Outlook.com SMTP server name: smtp-mail.outlook.com
- Outlook.com SMTP Gateway: 587
- Outlook.com SMTP Encryption Method: TLS
Troubleshoot email server setup
Although mobile devices and email applications have become more user-friendly to access email accounts, there may still be a problem during the setup process. Carefully check your POP, IMAP, and SMTP settings. In the case of POP servers, dashes and dots in the server address are easy to mistake or ignore. The port number is also important and may have to change from a default port number to an exact port number for Outlook.com.
It may also be the case that Outlook.com changes these settings, checks your current settings from Microsoft Office support, or uses the Settings menu on Outlook.com to find the updated settings.